Friday, May 8, 2020

Interview on Dignified Menstruation




1) What inspired you to work on Dignified Menstruation?
My work on dignified menstruation is very organic and very long. Over the three decades experience, working from my personal, to national and global level, I learned that the menstruation is not only my issue, or my country's issue. More importantly, I knew that free pads, clean sheds or knowledge on hygiene do not guarantee the dignity during menstruation. In other hand, menstrual stigma, taboo and restriction is underlying cause for violence against girls and women, destroying the peace and violation of series of human rights. Succinctly, I learned that the menstrual stigma, taboo and restriction play a crucial role to construct and shape the power since childhood between girls and boys that is missing by global community who were/are working for development, human right and feminism. It is happening everywhere across the globe but the forms and severity vary from place to place. The global community remained not only silence and biased but also worked in assumption or misinterpretation at the name of support or funding. In this circumstance, despite having support, I determined to work for changing the narratives around menstruation from hygiene to dignity.


2) Who were your first targets and why?
When I enlightened the menstruation as power, pride and essence for existence of this universe in 1991 at nursing college, my first target were my parents.  I realized that my parents imposed more than 40 types of restrictions during menstruation including sending cowshed during the days of 1980, due to ignorance and socialization. They took many steps as breakthrough against stereotyped practices but continued the menstrual restrictions due to ignorance.
3) Who are the person who supported you in your work and how?
As of today, there are very few people, organizations and networks supported my work dignified menstruation. I struggled alone at home and aboard for decades. No one like to listen me. I created space for dignified menstruation while they were invited me as peace maker, author, activist. I changed the title of my presentations, abstracts and so on. However, my parents were my best supporters and inspirators who allow me to enter house without any rituals and scolded during my home returning at first menstruation. Indeed, I ran away from house for five days during my first period for avoiding the restrictions as my three sisters and mother. Since 2017, when the Nepal government started to listen the pledge of dignified menstruation, the journey is bit easier but there are so many black spots ahead and long way to go.

4) Based on your experience, who should be involved in order to make this campaign a successful one?
Dignified Menstruation is holistic approach in order to address the negative consequences that arises or associated with complex and multifaceted menstruation. Dignified menstruation also applies throughout the life from womb to tomb even after deaths for some cultures. In this connection, need to involve different stakeholders at various levels. However, in such complexity, the leadership of government is essential and important for achieving overarching goal of dignified menstruation as well as harmonization of other stakeholders towards the goal of dignified menstruation.    
 
5) As a campaign leader, you are working for women and their issues. People can say that you are   working only for females which is not complete as almost 50% i.e. males are not covered by this campaign. What would be your response and why?
This is absolutely wrong. You are charging me without knowing the gravity of my work. I am deeply hurt. Could you give me the evidences? I am the person who work with boys and men since 2001 for same since Jumla where the Nepal government or others even do not think about it. I presented papers in many global forums about the best practices of men engagement. I am certified the International resource person for engaging men since 2014. There are so many champions across the country, they awarded by national and international awards as well. Engaging boys and men are my one strategy as always. Because of that strategy, feminist organizations denied to fund with us.
  
6) You have spent such a long time continuously in this campaign, what do you think you have achieved   so far?
I do not achieve yet. The dignified menstruation is under big threats as like me inside and outside of the country. I am still learning to understand the people, organization and menstruation itself. I am very clear that I have to struggle more for dignified menstruation and continue my battel till my last breath. Myself and my dedicated fans/team members would have struggled much. Because I experienced deep level of ignorance and resistance from the people who supposed to support or allies.

7) What would you have lost if you hadn’t been involved in this campaign?
Since the age of six, I have experienced discrimination against girls and women (myself, sisters and mother) and the menstrual blood further traumatized me and brought me the decision for committing suicide at the age of nine. Since childhood, I am rebellion for gender justice. I quit my luxury jobs and privileges for the sake of dignified menstruation in a way and the other round. In other words, I faded up with double standards activists, supervisors and so on. People cheated me in many ways. In my life, I see only two options, either do or die. So, I could dismiss myself if I unable to live with dignity.

8) What are the major challenges for this campaign and how have you been facing those challenges?
Dignified menstruation, is evolved from my personal pain and passion indeed. I invested my life, I learned and I keep trying to give shape for global campaign without any funding and resources. Thus, it is completely indigestible for the friends inside and outside of Nepal. They considered me as insane. In my course of dignified menstruation journey, I experienced everything including death threats, physical attacks, blaming, exclusion, medialization (use media) etc. Often my team members also experienced such challenges indirectly. More importantly, I was more challenged or threatened by the educated people, big or rich NGOs in many ways. I always remained firm. I know my limitation. I do not have job, house, car, coming and working for rural community but I have pain, passion, commitment, integrity. I am still alive with smiles.
 
9) What message would you like to give to other members who have been working for this campaign?
My message to all readers for joining campaign of dignified menstruation is transform first before teach others, hold accountable first before pointing other and do not join this campaign for project and popularity. Please do not play with menstrual blood.  

This is the interview given to DWD

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,