Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Talk Period. Stigma- Shame- Advocacy

 

Panelist for University of Arizona, USA October 18, 21.45 Nepal Time

Questions/ Theme:

1)      Why did you choose Menstruation Advocacy

·       Before answering your question, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all activist all around the globe who speak up for Menopause and like to express my commitment to work for Dignified Menopause as well. Today is the International Menopause Day.

########################

·       My Menstrual Advocacy is purely organic. It is started from childhood with pain or trauma. About 40 years before, when I was 7 years old, I learned that the menstruation is curse from god and my three sisters and mother were following restrictions during menstruation. Since then I was so much traumatized.

·       I do not like to live a single minute as a girl child. Every moment, I was thinking to die. At the age of 9 years, I left home for committing suicide.

·       When I was about 14 years old, I had first menstruation, I ran away from house to avoid all restrictions what my mother and sisters were doing.

 

2. What do your advocacy methods entail?

·       Due to more than three decades of experience, my way of advocacy also evolved along with my journey. The mode of advocacy depends upon the context or what kind of audience I was working with or what was the goal I was seeking for.

·       In short, I have been engaging at various levels: at local, national and global level through research, training, writings, and evidence based policy advocacy. I founded the Global South Coalition for Dignified Menstruation for critically reflecting our past around menstrual activism and moving towards dignity during menstruation.

 

2)      What is menstruation advocacy according to each panelist and why do they believe this is a human rights question?

·       I myself is changing a lot within a course of my menstrual activism. I am learning every day. However, the core theme is remained always same no matter whether I was 7 years old or now? That is dignity. Dignity during menstruation or dignified menstruation. Each menstrurators deserve dignity during menstruation.

·       To me,

At macro level, menstrual advocacy is acknowledge the existence of this human kind or universe.

At micro level, each menstrurators, should live without any forms of taboos, stigma, restrictions, or discrimination that associated with menstruation throughout life. 

 

Menstrual Advocacy is Human Right Questions in many ways:

·       I prefer to discuss in two ways:

1.       From the perspective of impacts of the menstrual practices:

2.       From the perspective of Human right what globally we believe

 

From the perspective of impacts of the menstrual practices:

ü  Globally, regardless of class, caste, religion, region, menstrual blood considered as impure, disgusting or discomfort.

ü  Because of that perception, there are so many restrictions during menstruation with different names, forms, degrees and visibility.

ü  Here, menstrual practice plays a vital role to construct and shape the power since childhood. Girls considered as impure, powerless, inferior or disadvantages and

ü  As a result, globally, more girls and women victimized at home by known men

ü  In other words, the sexual abuse, intimate partner violence or child marriage of unsafe abortion has significant relationship with menstrual impurity or practice.

ü  As UN declared, either sexual abuse or intimate partner violence of child marriage is a form of violence against girl and women or violation of human right.

ü  This is an example only, menstruation is complex and multifaceted natural phenomena has negatively impact both menstrurators life as well as entire society and planet in many ways.

 

From the perspective of Human right what globally we believe

ü  Simply, any form of taboos or stigma or restrictions or discrimination is violation of human right.

ü  Often we trapped the death cases either in Nepal or Kenya directly associated with menstrual shaming.  But we do not see every day’s suffering of each menstrurators. Without having confidence on menstruation, how is it possible to seek health service for unsafe abortion or family planning contraceptive or decide the marriage or child bearing. Even today, we all trapped over the cloud and do not ready to handle the underlying cause of violation of human right indeed.

3)      Radha: Can she share a little about the practice of chaupadi?

ü  Before talking chhaupadi, let me talk about the greetings. As a Nepali, I greet by saying Namaste, you say good morning and a German speaker would say gurton morgan, Italaina would say Bonjourna etc.

ü  As exactly like this, chhaupadi is a local saying for the menstrual restriction in some parts of west Nepal. 

ü  The bottom line principle is separation during menstruation. It is practicing everywhere across Nepal. Somewhere live in the separate hut, somewhere live in separate floor, somewhere live in separate room or separate corner if they have only one room for rental.

ü  Often media picked up these cases for their popularity not for helping menstrurators empowerment. Because the menstrurators are suffering each moment by many ways due to menstruation but this is not priority for media.

6) How did you all overcome personal shame and stigma toward the topic? Or were you always open minded about it?

ü  I have already shared bit.

ü  At the age of 16, I was enlightened when I knew the physiology and essence of menstruation at Nursing college

ü  I started to speak up at family and community where I lived or worked.

ü  I do everything as regular during menstruation including participating at death rituals.

ü  Due to my pain, passion and experience, I am very strategic while choosing the methodology to engage for dialogue on dignified menstruation.

8) Biggest obstacles? How to get through to people that are not open to having these conversations and see menstruation as a taboo topic?

ü  The deep level of ignorance and silence around dignified menstruation is key challenge

ü  Myself and my core team members were threatened in many ways even today a.

ü  Last two months course, four talking engagement were cancelled due to my specialization on dignified menstruation

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,