Wednesday, April 26, 2023

letter to Meghan

  Date: July 18, 2018

 Dear Meghan,

 Namaste and Greetings all the way from Nepal!

 First, please accept my heartfelt congratulations for your marriage. I am so happy for you.

I became aware of you a few months ago. I was impressed by the way you have dedicated yourself to women’s empowerment ever since childhood. You are a true inspiration for many girls and women across the globe. Further, I was interested to see that you support the women's group who are working for menstrual hygiene in Mumbai, India: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/meghan-markle-voice-issue-menstrual-hygiene-care/story?id=55409921

 To introduce myself very briefly, I am Ms. Radha Paudel, a social activist and author from Nepal. I am significantly engaged in the areas of peace-building, empowerment of the disadvantaged, and human rights. Dignified Menstruation is the most important and long-fought battle of mine.

 I began to understand about menstruation when I was about 7 years old while absorbing and observing rituals affecting women, as well as beginning to understand the variety of suffering and hardships experienced during their periods, including confinement in cowsheds for 7 days a month see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsxkORI8YM

 I left home when I was 9 years old with the intention of committing suicide because I couldn’t see any value of being a girl at all. Fortunately, I failed. Then, I again left home  aged 14 when I had my first period. In short, my battle against menstrual restriction had begun. Now at the age of 45,  I continue to do whatever possible as a full-time volunteer, working as a trainer, researcher and advocate. However, I am not accepted by my society in many ways. In this connection, your voice and solidarity made me cry. Thank you for being a part of this journey.

 I keep doing whatever possible when I see an opportunity. I gave up all my luxury jobs and privileges in order to represent the voice of not only Nepalese girls and women,  but to be a women's’ spokesperson across the globe. To me, dignified menstruation is not only a matter of sanitation, water provision and sanitary pads. It requires a holistic approach where peace, human rights, empowerment, health, education, water/sanitation and environment would be improved simultaneously. In short, dignity should come first. Because the clean shed or clean house or good quality and free sanitary pads cannot alone guarantee the right to participate socially e.g. eating communally with family members or helping oneself to water/food when one feels thirsty/ hungry.

 In my country, particularly in west Nepal, more than 40 types of restriction for women are followed and visible. In addition, girls and women are dying when confined to cowsheds during their periods due to snake bites, extreme cold, infections, suffocation from smoke inhalation in the winter etc see https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-period-exile-nepal-dies-menstruating-men-family-a8156271.html

 

Unfortunately, dignified menstruation was heavily ignored in human rights and development discourse till 2014.  After this, the focus was on hygiene and it was acknowledged that Chhaupadi in west Nepal was a traditional harmful practice.  I am still not happy with the UN CEDAW Committee because recognizing Chhaupadi as harmful suggests that isolation and segregation during menstruation is confined to an ethnic group and specific region, in West Nepal.  The word Chhaupadi applies specifically to West Nepal.   Segregation or isolation during menstruation is common across the globe regardless of country, religion, caste, region, education etc but the degree and methods are bit different. Thus, we are losing our ground (space for girls) again.

 I am grateful for your empathy and your dedication to gender equality since childhood

and I like to think there is someone in such a powerful and influential position who is a champion of our cause.

 I wish you all the best. Please keep smiling and inspiring many girls and women like me across the globe.

 Sending love, Peace and Solidarity,

Radha Paudel

rpaudel456@gmail.com

+977-9849596298

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,