Tuesday, February 16, 2016

#Menstrual Taboo in Kavre, Feb 2016

A lady(Thuli) about 15 years was saying to her younger sister ( Sani), you were in haven. During my time, I went to the hut for hidding my first mense and followed so many restrictions in touching, eating,moving.
Now her parents migrated and living in small market called Sipaghat and also operate small tea shop. The living condition of her parents and in neighbourhood has already changed mostly. 

 Sani was watching TV at a spare room when I reached that House, Sipaghat at the middle of day.
Radha: why didn't you go to school? Had you holiday ? 
Sani: She nodded her head for NO. I had school, I have first mense so I couldn't go.
Radha: How many days you had.
Sani: today was fifth day.
Radha: Why didn't you go school then? 
Sani: My brother also is studying in same school, so I might she him.

She had taken bath everyday. She had period when the school was holiday due to death of Hon. Prime Minister Sushil Koirala. She continued, I noticed blood when I was in toilet and shared with my friends, I was with friends due to holiday. 

She heard about period from her mother and sister but not much aware it and bit shocking when she noticed blood, she added. Her sister brought sanitary towel and friends taught how to use it. She came this house when the sun set or dark evening. She didn't allow to enter main room, kitchen, fruits, vegetables. She slept in separate floor with low quality of clothes.

She felt ashamed when people come that house, everyone easily recognized that she has period and uncle (owner of house) come with many new friends and each of them know her story. She was waiting for the seventh day to go home and school.She missed school very badly and afraid whether she can continue her education or not. She never missed class like this.

This is bed where I slept for nights, feeling cold, dropped off water from roof at night. The next tiny bed in corner where Sani slept
Sani holding plate to have dinner because she neither enter kitchen nor touch others. So she is holding her plate in low level.
This is Sani's bed where she slept for7 nights. She hadn't had good clothes as I used. 

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,