Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Journey of Menstrual Dignity, from Canada and Swizerland to Jumla

I went to Jumla after Long gap. I promised to visit Jumla at least once in a year. I visited in September 2022 so have to go in September 2023. I had planned to go. I received the message that I would invite by Action Works Nepal for marking International Peace Day, September 21. I was waited and waited even by cancellation of trip to pad factory in Chitwan but I didn't received any message. I always busy of Global South Coalition for Dignified Menstruation's work. I planned to go during the baseline survey but I couldn't make it due to 5th International Dignified Menstruation Day. Additionally, I had health issue when I was returning from Bajhyang.  

I had acute pain on my left breast. It took about 1.5 months to make diagnosis. Initially, Joanne and myself had plan to go Jumla by 19th Feb 2024 unfortunately I had a surgery that day. The surgery postponed for 4 days due to World Social Forum where we had special program, and responsibility to speak as panelist and moderator. 

At the 9th day of my surgery (lumpectomy and drainage of pus/hematoma). In consultation with drs, I went to Jumla though Joanne Frappier was asking me not for pushing for this trip. I was desperate and feeling guilty so I and Joanne who is former Canadian Ambassador for Uruguay and unaanounce ambassador for dignified menstruation, went to Jumla. Eva Jennifer Matri joined who was conducting data on Menstrual discrimination and its impact in various sectors including agriculture for her PhD. She is from Switzerland and conducting research in collaboration with us.  So LalS (Lal Sharan Chalaune) and Eva primarily focused on research and Joanne and me focused on monitoring the ongoing activities where Kishor coordinated as a partner organization. 

From Miteri Peace Learning Center, Jumla

From Miteri Peace Learning Center Jumla, next to me, Keshab Dhital who has been working in Action Works Nepal and a witness of mine from 2013. 

Laxmi Prasad Updahya, an honest and ethical guy I worked since 2001. He was former technician for x-ray by practice in Jumla hospital.

Dipendra Bikram Hamal, a social activist and younger son of Sarpanand Hamal whom I worked during early days of my Jumla and initiating the blood bank in Jumla.

Kamal Raj Rai, employee of WWF and friend of Joanne

Devi Kanya my best follower was preparing handmade bread and Debaki Khadka was watching

A poem I crafted while I landed in Jumla airport in 29 Feb 2024

Siddamaya Phupu (Sita Rawal), one of pioneer social worker and her husband (Phaju).

At Stupa, Jumla along with Kishor and Joanne

At hospital where Savina Thapa, nursing director shared the history of it. Savina was first lady who got the scholarship for staff Nurse course while I worked in Safe Motherhood Project in 2001-2004 in Jumla

Joanne, Eva and myself infront of the bank which was blasted during Maoist attack in 2002 and this house was the book cover.

Devi Kanya Updahya from Hiya Khola, Jumla

Interaction on Dignified Menstruation with Federation of Nepalese Journalist, Jumla

Visiting Action Works Nepal, Jumla office where I worked as founder chair till 2016

Kalika Neupane a best friend since 2001, she is Miteri bahini

Interaction with Journalist

Visiting PACE Nepal's office 

Meeting with teachers and students of child club of HimShikhar School Tatopani, Jumla 

Handed over the books on dignified menstruations for public library of Federation of Nepalese Journalist, Jumla Chapter

After the interview with Laxmi Updahya and Eva

At Tatopani Municipality with Nanda Chaulagain, a chair of it and his team

Kamal came to see us at Nepalgunj airport from his Kohalpur office

Good bye photo of Norbu Lama dai, owner of hotel Kanjirowa and social worker in Jumla

Women of Hiya Khola, I knew many of them for last 13 years. They had done so much changes and still need to work hard to make fully dignified menstruation. It was rainy day and they were there. Huge respect them. 

Norbu Lama dai was sharing his story from Porter to Hotel owner in Jumla

This is house where I survived during Maois Attack 2002

Norbhu Lama dai was so happy with my presence after long gap

A Planning officer of Tatopani Rural Municipality, Jumla. He is from Dolpa and so happy by seeing us.

This is the picture with HemRaj Bhatta (Blue Jacket), Kishor Neupane from PACE Nepal and Prakash Pant, Correspondence of BBC Nepali Service. We all flying together to Jumla. Joanne was holding my book called Jumla. 

 

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,