Friday, March 17, 2023

Speech during the Award Ceremony, Rotary District Office 3292, 15th Conference

Namaste, Salam Alekam and good morning,

All protocols observed.

ü  I would like to extend my sincere thanks and gratitude for this award

 

ü  And special thanks goes to Rotary District Office 3292, President of Rotary Club of Bhaktapur, Rotarian Dr. Suniti Acharya, and Rotarian Joanne Frappier from Rotary club of Montreal Canada.

 

ü  I am so honored and humbled. With the tender age of 7 I observed my mother's loss of dignity during menstruation. It bothered me so much that I even attempted suicide at the age of 9.

 

ü  It was unfortunate and yet fortunate for my future, so I am standing here in front of you all as a global leader for Dignified Menstruation.

 

ü  I accepted this award and dedicate it to my father and late mother. They were not only the ones to educate me about menstrual discrimination. They also groomed to have me strong wings. Strong wings I use to fly in the service for Dignified Menstruation since my childhood, it is already more than 4 decades.

 

ü  I also dedicate this award to all people who born with uterus and ovaries all around the globe.

 

ü  I was so thrilled when the RI President Jennifer Jones launched balloons with us on the occasion of the 4th International Dignified Menstruation day, last year at Bhaktapur.

 

ü  What a proud moment for me as a founding person and for Nepal as the country in which the concept of dignified menstruation originated. Similarly I am proud that we globally celebrate the International Day of Dignified Menstruation every year on December 8th.

 

ü  Yet, I gently would like to remind you all that Dignified Menstruation is not just about the 5 days of bleeding or issues related to poverty or illiteracy. Neither is it only a Nepalese problem. Dignified menstruation is also not about confronting any religion, ethnicity, country or region.

 

ü  Menstrual Discrimination (has been) is practiced across the globe under different names, in different forms and various magnitudes.

 

ü  As an innovative and holistic approach to dismantle all forms of menstrual discrimination, we strive to challenge patriarchy. We believe dignified menstruation is everyone’s business because it is matter of human rights for over 50 % of the population in this planet.

 

ü  More importantly, it is the (concern) reason of yours, mine and everyone’s existence and all life on this planet.

 

ü  For my understanding Rotary could as well make dignified menstruation a central aspect of its global movement. Because dignified menstruation is matter of peace, human right, empowerment of girls and women, climate action, health, education etc. All areas in which the Rotarian’s put tremendous efforts.

 

ü  Keeping dignified menstruation at center of your work would make your impacts multiply. I would vow for it.

 

ü  RI Director A. S. Venaktes (ए एस भेनकटेस), RI PR Nishita Pedenekar, his Excellency Dean R. Thomson, and everyone, let us drive this movement together from here. Let's deepen the dialogue and develop joint activities and together shape the pathway to a future with dignity for all menstruators and non menstruators.

ü  Again, I extend my sincere thanks and gratitude to all of you with immense commitment and compassion for Dignified Menstruation in Nepal and all around the globe.   

ü  Thank you again for the invitation to be here today.














 

 


World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,