Monday, March 2, 2020

TripleA 2020: A summary for Thank you and FUN.

Safely landed Kathmandu. 🇳🇵🇳🇵
Thank you 🙏 all: Asian Institute of Management family, FAIM, Professors, MDM2010mdm20_20,TripleA awardees, media’s, family, friends around the world for re-charging me. My selection is already a paradigm shifting, indeed. Survivors are leaders, no more victims. I reiterated that I will continue and together, we would overcome one day 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰



_________________________________________________________________________________
Early September 2019, Joseph Batac, my classmate; MDM2010 informed me that he wanted to nominate me for TripleA award (AIM Alumni Achievement Award) 2020 and asked for the referees/endorsement letters. It was unbelievable info in many ways. I always found very hard to ask something for me, felt that I am doing so odds things in my life etc. More importantly, we I knew about TripleA in 2009 when I saw so many big frame photos over the wall of class building AIM (Asian Institute of Management). They were the producers of millions of dollars and donated to AIM as well. I was not fit for that at all and I was hesitated to proceed.
Joseph was consoled me, `Radha, you were done something unique means back to home country, quit the all luxury jobs and trying to work around challenging issues e.g. dignified menstruation and with unreached population which is exactly MDM graduates supposed to do.  
I was always like nomad though my mobility was bit restricted due to accident (felled from horse in remote village of Jumla and broke six bones). However, I tried to connect the potential endorsement across globe such as USA, Europe, Asia and also tried to cover the all sectors like literature, peace, gender-based violence, dignified menstruation etc. I went to field. I did not know who forwarded the endorsement letter to Joseph or not.
Again, I got the info from Joseph that the deadline for submission was extended. He was also busy for taking care of his parents and his PhD. I did not ask anything. I only kept receiving the updates from him. In between, he was counselled me several times, even in case you were not selected, no worry, we attempted, its matter of batch. We would consider as lesson learned. Indeed, I was completely fine because I am not working for awards or money. I am working from pain and passion and for avoiding the repetition of same level of sufferings (as like me 40 years before) among the girls and women even today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In January 17, we received following message

I was in meeting so I could not picked up the phone from Joseph. He called several times already. I had ray of hope that there is something. Before that Chair, FAIM, Nikhil gave me some hits about it. When I picked up call, both Joseph and me laughed so much because both of us had not have hope for it. We agreed that it was a shifting within AIM from dollars to impact.  Finally, I received the final letter too. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

We started to talk about the plan and I shared my photo and 500 words acceptance letter. 
I am honoured that I have been selected as TripleA Awardee for 2020 as a fourth Almuni from MDM and a first ever from Nepal in a half century course of AIM.

Here, I would like to congratulate to other six friends who are selected for same. I sincerely thanks to Joseph Batac who keeps me under his micro lab and dared to pick up me for such prestigious award.

I shocked by seeing my name in official website of the AIM as TripleA awardee. I often considered myself that I am working on off track as like crazy. I always focused on the most neglected issues in Nepal and globally for the bottom of population due to my pain and passion. I am like nomad, no house, no car and no job and nothing which is crucial for basic and rest of the world struggling.

I questioned AIM? Is it really time to celebrate human centre approach for development? It it really time to recognize victims as leaders? I hadn't believed on myself for couple of hours because I am excluded, blamed, life killing threatened, arrested, detained and so on due tot the way of my thinking and working.  

Despite of my role in family, I joined AIM in 2009. It was simply inspired from challenges as a tribute for my late mom thus who kept saying that the crying is not final solution. I had bit chunk of fear whether I can fly with this corporate world or not? My way of thinking did not change and continuously far from the crowd. I more attached and inspired with my childhood where I went to school with barefoot and went to bed without dinner.  

Meanwhile, I learned so much from AIM. The most important learning was: I was one of the leaders for Asia to alleviate the poverty. I keep reminding myself about it when I experienced something bitter. The other important learning was confidence for leadership without having political, and monetary power. My dream went flat for nine months in 2004 due to due to status of poor, rural, tiny women from outside of the Kathmandu. I was living as refugee by holding citizenship of my country.  

Right after AIM, my family where I was the bread winner, was expecting to work in high paid salary for land, car, house in Kathmandu. My friends also expected for same. But the result was just opposite. I dared to found a non-profit organization that sole focused for the bottom of the population and started to work with ultra-poor and excluded people of Nepal.

Every moment is terrifying professionally and personally, but I am alive and smiling along with likeminded men for the millions of daughters across globe for their dignity during menstruation. The path is often more challenging but I am happy to pounder as an opportunity.

Here, I promised not to down the people whom I represent till my last breath. 
Once again, I thanked to AIM and Joseph. 
Note: I also mentioned that I could not join for ceremony without support for my travels and accommodation
____________________________________________________________________

Joseph and me started to chat via whatsapp and FB messenger regarding the trip for ceremony.The epidemic of corona virus outbreak was fulled further. So almost, it was cancelled. Thus, I didn't do anything for visa as well. 
Here is my stake for making the trip:

Good morning dear Joseph,
Your each email and word is very live and power.
I do understand your will.
To me coming Manila is more exciting to my second home and family ( place, professors, friends). It’s emotional refreshment than award. That is why I always look for opportunity.
Here, I am still discouraged to come due to putting burden to my friends. I do not feel confidence to use money for me or my joy. I feel guilt throughout life that I am using money for me. I would love to use my friends money and energy for cause but not for me.
I always happy and proud of you. You go and represent.
Hope you would not be sad with me.

Here is the stake of Joseph:

I already said to FAIM , that I will not do the representation as I am worthy of it.
Also, the burden is not there at all since it is more of celebration of 10 years of being together as a batch. You represent the brand of our batch and as such is needed to be here. If you come, we can launch a trust fund for your work so that you can have more impact.
Your trip will be a fund raiser for your work. Only you can tell us what and where you wish to focus so we can help better use of our talent time and treasure.
I would really highly recommend that you take the time to be with us so we can be closer to each other through the work that you do.
This is how, we concluded to move further for ceremony. 
I do not know what he did behind the scene. He simply was shared, funding was poured, Dean Prof. Mike was active.
_____________________________________________________________________

I landed at Feb 26 at 12.30 PM at Manila and stayed and ACCM.
_____________________________________________________________________

We had dinner together at green belt at Queen Bomby, Indian restaurant and discussed about the responses from friends, Profs. and other concerned people. 

______________________________________________________________________

On the way back to ACCM, we met Prof. De Vera and knew about the 

_______________________________________________________________________
Feb 27, 2020
Photo shoot before award ceremony at 2 PM

I was waited in designated hall to my class mates. I only could see Joseph, Ben, Junji, Madam Secretary Tina before going to the program and Prof. Nihal, Prof. Nieves and Prof. Chuwa.
I was so excited and bit nervous. I knew the value of award finally. My classmates were so happy and cheering up. I missed the late Prof. Mayo, Jing and my learning team mate Oscar and my mom though I remained quiet. I did not like to opened up the sad stories during such fun moments. 

Official Program started from 3 PM


Joseph went to stage as fourth introducer. He introduced me. 

Thank you Greg and congratulations to all our awardees for the AIM Alumni Achievement Award today. It is my great privilege to introduce our next winner.

Our outstanding Triple A alumna is a humanitarian social activist born in Chitwan, Nepal. In 2010, she graduated with a Master in Development Management from AIM. Driven by her main goals to empower people living in poor districts, organizing health services and human aid, she went back to Nepal after AIM to set up her own NGO, Action Works Nepal. Serving as its first president from 2010-2015, the NGO aimed to improve the livelihood of communities through innovative humanitarian, educational, and vocational empowerment programs.
In recognition of her contributions as a champion of human rights, particularly in the areas of gender, peace and justice, she has received nine honors to her name, with 17 publications on their thematic areas. One of these won Nepal’s top literary prize in 2014, and was the subject of a 75-page study on peace advocacies by the University of San Diego.
In 2012 she received the N-Peace award from the United Nations Development Programme as a role model for peace and in 2014 she received the Madan Literature Prize for her book Khalangama Hamala. Her other notable awards include the 2012 Woman Peacemaker from the University of San Diego and the 2014 Youth Talent Award from the Government of Nepal.
In 2016 she founded her own foundation which focuses on rural transformation, opposing discrimination of menstruating women, and rape and violence against women. It also addresses citizenship rights for women and supports campaigns against child marriage.
May I invite AIM Chairman, Peter Garrucho, AIM President and Dean, Dr Jikyeong Kang, and the Chairperson of the Federation of AIM Alumni,  Mr. Nikhil Kamath to join me onstage.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is my great honor to call onstage MS. RADHA PAUDEL, MDM 2010.

Joseph, FAIM chair Nikhil and Vice Chair Sumeth and Cortea, chair of AIM of Philippines,
Joseph, FAIM chair Nikhil and Vice Chair Sumeth and Cortea, chair of AIM of Philippines,
Add caption
I delivered a two minutes acceptance speech after photo session

 

Respected chair and all,
Namaste and good afternoon.
I dedicate this award to all girls and women across globe who are sufferings even today.
 AIM nurtured of my confidence, robust my hope and moulded my vision.
I transformed myself, from producer of millions of dollars to savers of millions of lives of people in Nepal and beyond. 
Today, I failed to donate to AIM even for my flights to here, but I would never fail to continue my battle for lead, inspire and transform the lives who are voiceless. 
Often, dark, painful, discouraging while being and representing as poor, excluded and victim, but I always observe some linings of priceless inspiration and glare. Thus, I am still alive with smiles.
It's high time that this world has to acknowledge the voice and leadership of people from global south for tangible peace, justice and sustainability. 
Thank you FAIM, thank you professors and thank you my classmates MDM 2010 and all my family and friends across the globe.
Namaste, Mabuyay.

This photo was displaying while I was delivering speech

Official Photo Session after completion of award ceremony
Photo Session of all attained awardee 
Photo Session with FAIM executive and awardees 


We, MDM2020 also took photo along with our professors 

Photo with Profs.


Photo Session with MDM2010 family

Made so much jokes by John, Junji
 ____________________________________________________________________

This photo was displayed at lobby, main entrance of school, 
This banner was displaying on the lobby of school

Before dinner, Prof. Nihal asked to take photo like this 

Photo with Professors at lobby of School
Dinner invited by two Professors: Mike and Nihal



Madam Secretary Tina shoot photo with book during dinner 

Dinner with Professors 

Prof. Vera was explaining about the experience with me and WAC

Photo session with birthday man, Joseph a week advance  

Joseph was explaining about all with professors as like he is presenting in class 

Testimonies read by Joseph 
Testimony from Ben:

 I’m a proud batchmate of Ms Radha Paudel of the MDM 2010 program of AIM.

I visited Radha in Khatmandu, Nepal way back six years ago when I attended a conference in the area. At the time, she was one of the founders of “Action Works”, an NGO advocating
 women’s rights and access to health services. I was able to visit their place of work and met the wonderful and dedicated people behind their advocacies. Despite the humble workplace and meager resources, I genuinely felt that their mission to empower women and correct outdated traditions in Nepal drives Radha’s team despite the obvious threats from those who would defend status quo. Their small band of workers travel for miles just to reach their intended beneficiaries. In fact, during the day of my visit, I was just lucky to catch her in Khatmandu because she was then preparing for a long trip the following day. She and her team ignore their personal needs in favor of their day to day struggles with the current system. But despite these challenges, their vision of a better future for the Nepalese women keeps them moving forward.

Nobody deserves this recognition as much as Radha in our batch. I just wish we have a Radha Paudel in the Philippines too. CongratulationsR Radha, for this well-deserved acknowledgement of your work! May you and your team continue to fight the good fight and reach your goals of an enabled Nepal.

Testimony from Islam:
Someone said that “ ‘Nurse’ is another word to describe a person strong enough to tolerate everything and soft enough to understand everyone”- you are a true embodiment of your profession. My wife and son still cherish your caring nature during our AIM days. I admire your capability to build on your core training as a nursing professional to provide leadership on important health care issues related to women. You have shown the great ability to be a beacon of light to all those women who are deprived of their rights and oppressed by rigid societal norms. Your struggle, work, and your achievement is an inspiration for me to build on my training as Veterinarian to serve society.
Testimony from

Prof. Nihal was telling about me. So blessed. 

Now, Ada was speaking, yet to cry 
Class for MDM2020
Photo after class 
My talk 
Those who moved with talk

Official Good bye dinner with FAIM

Photo with cultural group after official Good bye dinner with FAIM

MDM2020 who took me in Museum 


Dinner with MDM2020


Sunday Market breakfast with Dr Zul and team


Final goof bye photo with stars of AIM

Met Victor, MDM2020 while crossing the traffic and super final goodbye AIM, Makati

FYI: except last one, all photos were extracted from various FB posts.

World Social Forum 2024, Kathmandu- Dignified Menstruation: Decolonized Menstrual Movement and Reimagination of Feminism

 Inaugural Speech, 16 February, World Social Forum Dear Friends,